About the profession
The purpose of postgraduate studies on the specialty "Socially significant infectious diseases" is to train highly qualified scientific and academic personnel, capable of innovative activities in the relevant field of infectious diseases and in related fields of science and higher education.
The biological threat associated with infectious diseases and their pathogens reflects an actually global nature of the epidemic potential of pathogens. In case of mass epidemic spread, infections can destabilize public life, hinder the economic development of countries and peoples. The threats associated with the emergence of new pathogens and recurrence of those considered to be defeated, urgently require the improvement of knowledge, the expansion and optimization of methods of conducting antiepidemic measures and the continuous professional development of doctors.
The training process includes introductory lectures, a large amount of practical classes in lecture halls of the departments. Postgraduate students prepare their research papers with the use of innovative equipment under the supervision of doctors of sciences.
Postgraduate students have the opportunity to gain practical knowledge and skills, working in specialized departments of major clinical centers. Theoretical and practical training of postgraduate students is carried out in the structural subdivisions of RUDN University (classrooms and lecture halls of the Institute of Medicine of RUDN University, computer classrooms, Medical Center of RUDN University). The clinical sites of the department are as follows:
- Infectious Diseases Clinical Hospital No.1 of the Healthcare Department of Moscow;
- Infectious Diseases Clinical Hospital No.2 of the Healthcare Department of Moscow;
- Methodology of scientific research;
- Socially significant infectious diseases;
- Principles and methods of diagnosis, treatment of socially significant infectious diseases.
- Differential diagnosis of socially significant infectious diseases;
- Higher education pedagogy.
During the training, postgraduate students master the theory and learn to apply their knowledge in professional work.
Teaching activities of a postgraduate student are aimed at:
- practical application of knowledge, skills and practical skills received by the students in the field of study – 31.06.01 Clinical medicine, specialization – Socially significant infectious diseases;
- consolidation and formation of the skills of methodical development and analysis of basic forms of training sessions and extracurricular classes on socially significant infectious diseases;
- explanation, testing and control of knowledge of socially significant infectious diseases;
- organization of educational work with students;
- development and improvement of a programme for training courses on socially significant infectious diseases.
Research activities are aimed at:
- development of a set of skills for conducting scientific research for the preparation of a thesis;
- formation of a skill of speaking at scientific conferences with the presentation of research materials, participating in scientific discussions;
- formation of a skill of conducting independent research in accordance with the developed programme;
- formation of a skill of presenting the results of the conducted research in the form of a research paper or a report.
PhD graduates of the field of study "Socially significant infectious diseases" can work in the following institutions:
- Higher educational institutions:
- RUDN University and other higher educational institutions both in Russia and abroad.
- Research institutes
- Central Research Institute of Epidemiology of Rospotrebnadzor, Federal Scientific-Methodological Center for AIDS Prevention and Control, Central Scientific Research Institute of Tuberculosis.
- Healthcare institutions for treatment of infectious diseases. Multi-purpose healthcare institutions.
- the opportunity to combine research activities with the career in the pedagogical and business environment.
- teaching major-specific and applied disciplines in Russian and foreign universities,
- professional competences in the creation, translation, abstracting, editing, examination of texts of various types.
- the status of the expert enables to hold key positions in educational, state and commercial organizations; continue to conduct research activities; build a career of a specialist with fundamental knowledge; offer consultations and conduct private practice (depending on the focus of the study) in the field of infectious diseases.