About the profession
Ear, nose and throat illnesses are one of the multiple branches of medicine that is important for clinical practice. ENT organs are of great importance for health and pathology of the human body. Ear, nose and throat include 4 analyzers: sonic, vestibular, olfactory and gustatory ones, which connect the body with the external environment and react sensitively to changes in the latter. The importance and place of ENT illnesses in a number of other disciplines is determined by the leading and well-known principle of anatomical and functional integrity of the organism. Therefore, the in-depth study of ENT illnesses is determined by the closest link between this discipline and neurology, infectious diseases, pediatrics, therapy, ophthalmology, dentistry, anesthesiology, resuscitation and other specialties. A special discipline “Ear, nose and throat illnesses” refers to the professional cycle of disciplines and is the basis of professional specialization.
The department teaches the basic discipline "Otorhinolaryngology" and optional disciplines "Tracheotomy in modern otorhinolaryngology" for the students of the fields of study "Dentistry" and "Medical care".
The Department of Otorhinolaryngology trains highly qualified personnel as part of the full-time postgraduate training programme: "Ear, nose and throat illnesses”, certification cycles for the improvement of doctors.
Postgraduate students are trained for 3 years on a full-funding and contract basis in accordance with the state educational standard. The purpose of the postgraduate educational standard of higher education on the specialization 14.01.03 "Ear, nose and throat illnesses":
- solution of professional tasks in the field of clinical medicine, covering a set of theoretical and applied problems (in accordance with the field of study), as well as related medical and biomedical disciplines;
- protection of public health by providing highly qualified medical care in accordance with the established requirements and standards in health care, development of theoretical and practical bases of the prevention of modern otorhinolaryngological illnesses, a combination of means and technologies aimed at creating conditions for the protection of public health;
- training of highly qualified scientific and academic personnel, formation and development of their competences in accordance with the professional standard;
- final original scientific research contributing to the creation, expansion and development of scientific knowledge.
More than 50 postgraduate students have been trained in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology of RUDN University during its existence; many of these students successfully work in various regions of Russia and the world.
The main areas of the department’s research activities:
- The study of etiology, pathogenesis and development of new effective methods for diagnosis and treatment of tumors of ENT organs
- Pathophysiological and pathomorphological aspects of ENT pathology
- For Russian and CIS students: 1st year of study — 128,950 RUB; 2nd year of study — 232,100 RUB; 3rd year of study — 257,800 RUB.
- For Int. students: 1st year of study — 2,150 US$; 2nd year of study — 3,900 US$; 3rd year of study — 4,300 US$.